This periodical is the third in a series of botanical journals to be edited by William Jackson Hooker (1785-1865). The others were Botanical Miscellany and Journal of Botany. Once again, he changed the title and publisher, but much of the contents remained very similar to previous versions. Hooker had been made Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew in south-west London in 1841, a prestigious position, and under his leadership this institution would grow further both in terms of size and influence. The London Journal of Botany reflected this change in Hooker's status, not least referencing the greater focus upon London as a result of his appointment.